Warriors storm into final


KITWE – Zimbabwe came from behind to advance to the final of the Cosafa Cup Zambia 2013 tournament following their 2-1 win over Lesotho yesterday.

Lesotho . . . . . (1)
Zimbabwe . . .(2)

Zimbabwe started the game on the back foot, as they allowed Lesotho to take the lead in the fourth minute through Mofolo Motlalepula who had an easy tap-in from close range.

However, Lesotho failed to protect their lead and the Zimbabweans equalised 12 minutes later through Tendai Ndoro who received the ball inside the Lesotho box before firing past Phasumane Kholuoe.

The Warriors started knocking the ball around nicely after that equaliser, and they took a few shots at goal as they continued to press for the second goal.

Zimbabwe were finally rewarded for their patience and efforts when Ndoro grabbed his second of the game in the 25th minute after Moitheri Ntobo had failed to deal with the cross from the right-hand side of the field.

Likoena came back strongly and nearly levelled matters on the half-hour mark, but Warriors keeper Maxwell Nyamupanedengu pulled off a brilliant save to deny Lesotho.

Both teams continued to create goalscoring opportunities with Lesotho desperate for an equaliser before the end of the first half, but the Warriors took their lead into the dressing rooms.

Lesotho launched their first attack of the second half in the 47th minute when Jeremiah Kamela curled his free-kick towards the near post, but the Zimbabwean keeper was equal to the task.

However, the Warriors looked dangerous every time they entered the final third of the pitch, but they often struggled with one striker upfront.

The game lost its tempo after the hour mark as both teams looked very cautious, but the Zimbabweans continued to have an upper hand over their opponents.

Lesotho nearly equalised in the last 10 minutes after the Zimbabwean keeper fumbled the cross, but the Warriors defence recovered well to clear for a corner.

Lehlomela Ramabele had a golden opportunity to get Lesotho back on level terms in the 87th minute, but the striker blasted his shot well over the bar.

In the end, Zimbabwe held on to their lead and marched on to their second successive final of the Cosafa Cup. – Online