INFORMATION and Broadcasting Services minister, Jonathan Moyo has praised Southern Eye after the paper exposed the neglect of Tsholotsho flood victims forcing the government to act this week.
Moyo told journalists at the Bulawayo Press Club on Thursday evening that the paper pushed government to respond and assist the flood victims, adding that ‘this is the kind of reporting we expect from the media to push policy makers to act.’
The Southern Eye last week published a series of reports exposing the plight of flood victims in Tsholotsho who were accusing government of neglecting them.
The villages complained that the government appeared to be channeling all its energies to assisting those displaced by the Tokwe-Mokosi floods.
Government declared the Masvingo floods a national disaster, triggering a stampede to assist by various government departments, donor agencies and companies among other organisations.
Following the report, government officials in Tsholotsho among them the district administrator, Nosizi Dube, accused Southern Eye of lying and blowing the situation out of proportion.
But Moyo said instead of criticising the paper’s coverage, the officials were supposed to ‘go on the ground and act’ in much the same way government has responded.
A high powered government delegation descended in Tsholotsho on Wednesday to assist the Tsholotsho flood victims with food and blankets.
Southern Eye, a daily paper, was launched in June last year to cover south-western Zimbabwe.
It is part of Alpha Media Holdings, which also publishes NewsDay, Zimbabwe Independent and The Standard newspapers.