CASTLE Lager Soccer Star second runner-up Kudakwashe Mahachi is still a Zifa Southern Region Division One side Bantu Rovers player after all.
Bantu Rovers owned by former Highlanders player and coach Methembe “Mayor” Ndlovu, yesterday countered speculation on the player’s next move for next season amid reports that Mahachi could be joining Castle Lager Premier Soccer League champions Dynamos or Highlanders.
Wilbert Sibanda, Tshintsha Guluva’s secretary yesterday said the buck stops with Bantu Rovers as far as the player is concerned and no club has approached them yet on Mahachi.
Mahachi has been on loan to Chicken Inn and the deal ends on December 31. He has a running contract with the former top-flight side Bantu Rovers which ends next year.
“He (Mahachi) is on loan to Chicken Inn and that deal ends on December 31 and he is coming back to Bantu Rovers. No club has approached us yet on the player, not even Chicken Inn. We have been reading in newspapers that the player might be going to this or that club, but the official word is, he is still a Bantu Rovers player,” Sibanda said.
Mahachi has been quoted in various publications giving conflicting statements about his next move, but his manager Mlungisi Moyo yesterday also said the nimble-footed attacking midfielder still belongs to Bantu Rovers and the manager has not been approached either.
Moyo said he still awaits communication from cash-rich South African side Mamelodi Sundowns where Mahachi went for trials at the end of October.
“I have been trying to gag him (Mahachi) and he should stop from giving statements to the media and every time we meet he denies that he has said anything to anyone. Dynamos have not approached me and the player and they have not spoken to Bantu Rovers. He is still a Bantu Rovers player. We have not brokered any deal yet. On Wednesday, I tried to get hold of Sundowns to hear their position. I also tried Peter Ndlovu’s number, but it was not answered,” Moyo said.
Emerging from picking up his prize at the stars awards last Friday, Mahachi had this to say to Southern Eye: “I am waiting for a response from Sundowns which will come maybe on Monday.
If I do not get a positive response from Sundowns I will have to then make a decision.
“If I do not go to South Africa I would want to play for a big team like Highlanders or Dynamos. There are things which have been said, but what I can tell you is that I am still waiting for Sundowns after which I could them make a decision on who I will join. I have not finalised my plans for next season,” he said.
Mahachi is currently in camp with the Warriors preparing for the African Nations Championships to be hosted by South Africa next month.