HARARE CITY Football Club chairman Leslie Gwindi has until Sunday to meet the remaining condition set by the Zifa disciplinary committee after they found him guilty of bringing the game of football into disrepute.
Zifa legal representative Ralph Maganga yesterday said Gwindi had substantially complied with conditions set by the association’s disciplinary committee and now had to apologise.
“He has substantially complied and has to meet just one condition of apologising. He had asked for an extension so that he would have time to issue the apology and he was given up to Sunday,” Maganga said.
The Zifa lawyer explained that Gwindi, who is believed to be interested in the Zifa presidency, is free to pick up nomination forms.
“Just like anybody else, Gwindi can pick nomination forms tomorrow (today) when the nomination opens,” he said.
The former Premier Soccer League secretary-general was found guilty of bringing the game into disrepute following his public utterances in Bulawayo in March last year where he attacked Delta Beverages who sponsor the league through their Castle Lager brand, Zifa for appointing former Warriors coach Klaus-Dieter Pagels and former Education, Sport, Arts and Culture minister David Coltart.
Consequently Gwindi was banned for five-years, with three-years wholly suspended while the remaining two years were to be suspended on condition that he met certain conditions set aside by Zifa.
The Zifa disciplinary committee had pointed out that one year would be suspended on condition that Gwindi paid a fine of $6 000 within a fortnight of the judgment.
Another one year was also set aside on condition that he publicly apologised to Zifa, the PSL and the league’s sponsors.
Gwindi has since paid the $6000 fine and has up to Sunday to apologise and meet all the conditions which would see him contest in any football post in the country.