HomeSportFootballTriangle thump Hwange

Triangle thump Hwange


Triangle . . . . . . .(4) 5
Hwange . . . . . . . .(0) 2


TRIANGLE set the early pace in the Castle Lager Premier Soccer League at Gibbo Stadium yesterday after pumping in five goals past a hapless Hwange to take top spot in the opening week of the 2015 season.

It was a good start for the side’s gaffer Kelvin Kaindu who replaced Biggie Zuze as head coach.

Sugar Sugar Boys scored through impressive midfielder Pasca Manhanga in the third minute, Hardlife Mavhundi 32th, Richard Kawondera 42nd minute, Lameck Nhamo 44th minute and Hillary Bakacheza a minute before full time.

The visitors responded through Evans Rusike in the 48th minute and Gilbert Zulu in the 65th minute.

Kaindu said he was happy with the positive start.

“It was a good game and I am happy with the players and also happy that we got the goals from different players, so it was nice for the team,” he said.

Hwange assistant coach Chenjerai Dube conceded defeat saying they lost the plot during the first half.

“We had a youthful goalkeeper in goal; he did well in training, but he could not cope today (yesterday). We made a plan B in the second half and we improved,” he said.

Triangle started the match on a strong footing and were on the score sheet as early as the third minute through the boot of Manhanga who caught the jittery visiting Hwange goalkeeper London Zulu off guard with a 30-metre pile driver.

The home-side almost made it two in the 21st minute, but Mavhundi who had done well with a solo run on the middle of the park watched in disbelief, as his shot came off the crossbar.

Hwange finally came to life with their first shot on target on the 26th minute, but the Triangle goalkeeper Ronald Mudimu made a fine save to deny Rusike.

Mavhundi made it two with a spectacular 40-metre drive before Nhamo missed a chance to make it 3-0.

Kawondera made it three on the 42th minute after he poked home Brian Juwayeyi’s cross. Hardly two minutes later the home fans were jerked off their seats after Nhamo scored a powerful shot from a tight angle.

On the 38th minute Nhamo delivered a powerful free-kick that hit the upright post.

Hwange made three changes just after halftime bringing in veteran goalkeeper Timothy Sibanda for Zulu, Aleck Marime for Creven Banda and Gilbert Zulu for Tafara Chese.

The move immediately paid dividends as the visitors capitalised on the home side lapse of concentration in the 48 minute when Rusike beat Mudimu.

Gilbert Zulu scored their second in the 65th minute before Triangle made it five in the 89th minute with a superb strike from Bakacheza who benefited from a Mavhundi fine pass.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading