JOHANNESBURG — Prominent South African artists have had to cancel their performances abroad due to the outbreak of xenophobic attacks.
This is according to in the Presidency minister Jeff Radebe who said the attacks are having a far reaching impact on the South African economy.
Radebe was briefing journalists at a post-Cabinet briefing yesterday.
According to Radebe, multi-award winning Big Nuz and have cancelled their planned performances in Zimbabwe.
Kelly Khumalo has cancelled planned performance in London. Her show had been organised by Zimbabwean promoters.
Cassper Nyovest has insisted on playing in Bulawayo
“The impact of these attacks has far reaching implications on our economic and social relations with the continent and the world.
“South African companies who are running succesful businesses in the continent who help to contribute to our revenue and sustaining our economy may suffer the same fate,” Radebe said.
He said at its meeting on Wednesday, Cabinet had called on all communities, organisations and individuals to join hands against the attacks.
According to Radebe, Cabinet had noted the removal of the Cecil John Rhodes statue at the University of Cape Town.
“Cabinet noted and encourages the current broad debate that has commenced on transformation within our society, noting that transformation has not been fast enough we understand the frustration of the students,” he added. – IOL