Boxers’ fights cancelled

0
31

BULAWAYO professional boxer Meluleki Ngulube who was billed to make his debut international appearance in Namibia, will no longer fight as the Zimbabwe Boxing Board of Control has said no boxer will be given a clearance to fight an international bout if they have less than 10 fights.

Sukoluhle mthethwa
SPORTS REPORTER

Ngulube was due to fight Japhet Utoni in a lightweight non-title bout in Namibia tomorrow.
South Africa-based professional boxer Ntando Sibanda was also expected to fight with Nathaniel Kamati in a non-title bantamweight division fight on October 11 in Namibia, but the fight will also no longer be taking place.

Former Zimbabwe boxing champion Mordecai Donga who was organising the fight under the Mordecai “Big Fish” Donga Boxing Stable, yesterday told Southern Eye Sport that the boxers would no longer be fighting in Namibia.

“The board sent me guidelines on the process of sending boxers outside the country. They are saying that no boxer should be given a clearance to fight an international match if they have less than 10 fights,” he said.
Donga raised concern over the latest development.

“There are very few boxers in the country who have more than 10 fights, so it is going to be difficult for these young boxers to fight. We are also surprised because only last week Wesley MacDade went to fight in Zambia, but he has less than 10 fights. They are killing the sport because there are also no fights in the country,” he said.

Contacted for comment boxing board chairman Paul Nenjerama explained the reasons why they have come up with that decision.
“What we are basically trying to do is to protect the image of the sport. Some of these boxers are hurriedly sent out of the country when they have no track record while to some it is all about money. We want to bring sanity into the sport.

Why should boxers go if they are not ready. That only makes a mockery on the Zimbabwean boxing fraternity.
“Prevention is better than cure. Some of the boxers are not registered and when we ask for medicals with reputable people, that is done on the last minute,” he said.

The Tshaka Youth Centre Products Sibanda and Ngulube turned professional on June 3 in 2011, but have seen little action in the sport.

Sibanda moved to South Africa last year in a bid to get more fights.