Mangwiro quits Caps


Shabanie Mine ………(1) 3
Caps United………….. (0) 1


CAPS UNITED coach Taurai Mangwiro threw in the towel yesterday after his side were thumped 3-1 by an on fire 10-men Shabanie Mine in a Castle Lager Premier Soccer match played at Maglas Stadium yesterday.

A visibly frustrated Mangwiro announced his resignation from the helm of the Harare giants to journalists soon after the match, accusing some elements in the Caps United executive of throwing spanners in the works.

The 43-year-old gaffer joined Caps United from Monomotapa last season and had managed to transform the fading Harare giants from a club that finished last season on number nine to a team that was challenging for top honours for much of this season.

Mangwiro, who also revealed that he did not have a binding contract with Caps United, said he felt his decision to leave the club was in the best interest of the team, as his stay would have seen yet another run of poor results.

“I think I have done the best for the club and it is time for me to move on. Let them bring in someone they feel is the right person for the job. I did my bit and for me it ends here.

“It is unfortunate that I am having to make this announcement through the media before communicating with the relevant authorities, but since there was nothing binding between me and them I think it is appropriate that I say goodbye in this manner.

“There are a lot of squabbles at the club which I feel affected my work and I was the biggest loser at the end of the day.

“I don’t see the team winning if I stay and it is in the best interest of the team that I leave,” he said.

Mangwiro added that he had not been getting enough support from the executive and had been running affairs at the club which had not been paying its players for the past three months.

“It’s not a secret that there is a lot happening behind the scenes. There is a lot of sabotage and if people want you out they will make sure you go.

“I was virtually running the club with no support from the executive and that made my work difficult.

“Players would understand that if I stay it would be bad for the club,” lamented Mangwiro.

As news of Mangwiro’s resignation started filtering to some Caps United faithfuls, they stayed behind after the match and tried to convince Mangwiro to reverse his decision, but the gaffer stuck to his guns.

Club president Twine Phiri said Mangwiro had not yet communicated with the club and it would be difficult for him to comment.

Back on the field, Shabanie Mine humbled Caps United courtesy of a brace by Pervington Zimunya in the 40th and 64th minute and Caleb Masocha’s 66th minute header.

Caps United got their face-saver from second half substitute Moses Muchenje who converted from the spot in the 80th minute.

The two sides struggled to get into the groove in the early stages of the game with the opening 10 minutes characterised by long balls and lack of cohesion.

Caps were first to attack in the 13th minute with Leonard Fiyado and Tawanda Nyamandwe combining well, but Fiyado shot tamely towards goal for goalkeeper Victor Twaliki to easily collect.

Shabanie Mine woke up from their slumber moments later with midfielder Valentine Ndaba, who was impressive all afternoon, being the driving force for the home side.