Castle Lager Premier Soccer League champions Dynamos would have what looks like an easy task when they host Botswana champions Mochudi Centre Chiefs in the preliminary round first leg of the Orange Caf Champions League next February.
DeMbare will host Chiefs on the weekend of February 7-9 before they hit the road to Botswana two weeks later.
Their first hurdle could be the first round of the tournament where they will meet winners between Kano Pillars of Nigeria and DRC’s AS Vita at the end of February. The draws for the Champions League and the Confederation Cup were held yesterday in Marrakech, Morocco.
How Mine also have what looks like an easy tie as they host Chuoni FC of Zanzibar in the preliminary round first leg of the Orange Caf Confederation Cup in February before travelling to the island for the second leg.
If they win the preliminary match, the gold miners, who won the ticket to represent the country as finalists in the Mbada Diamonds Cup, will face the winner between St Michel of Seychelles and ASSM Elgeco Plus of Madagascar in the next round.
Meanwhile, Zifa yesterday said they could not disclose Dynamos and How Mine provisional squads for next year’s Caf competitions, as the two clubs were yet to finalise players before the football continental body’s December 31 deadline.
The national football body had set Sunday as the deadline for the two clubs to submit their list of players. Dynamos complied while How Mine yesterday said they still had loose ends to tie up before announcing the squad.
The move not to release the names might be seen as a way of allowing the clubs to complete their negotiations with other clubs on players that they intend to register.
Zifa communications manager Xolisa Gwesela said the association was not at liberty to release the lists yet.
“The association is not at liberty to divulge the names that have been forwarded to the association by the clubs that are going to participate in the Caf inter-clubs competitions.
“The football fraternity and the country are kindly advised that the association appreciates challenges that these clubs are going through in establishing formidable squads. The association works closely with the clubs to ensure that they submit these names on time. The association will issue a public statement thereafter,” Gwesela said.
Clubs have in the past cried foul after finding their players registered for continental tournaments without their consent and the most prominent was the fight between Dynamos and Hwange. Dynamos registered Farai Vimisayi for the 2011 Caf Champions League before the player was cleared by the coal miners.
How Mine chairman Mlondolozi Nkomo said the gold miners were avoiding such scenarios.
“Our squad has basically not changed, but with a few additions and we cannot announce the squad now as some players that we are talking to have not been cleared by their respective clubs,” he said.
According to Caf: “For the players’ registrations, a complete list of maximum 30 players must be registered or submitted to the Caf secretariat before December 31 2013.
It can be amended, but after January 15 next year, the list becomes final and no new players can be added or replaced.
However, a national association which registered less than 30 players earlier in January may be allowed to complete its list to 30 players after the 1/8th round (between July 1 and August 5 2013) provided the additional list does not exceed seven new players.”