Bantu cruise past How Mine


HOW Mine suffered their second defeat in the Castle Lager Premier Soccer League when they fell to retunees Bantu Rovers in an exciting Bulawayo derby at Luveve Stadium yesterday.


Thandiwe Moyo
Sports Correspondent

How Mine …………………….(1) 1
Bantu Rovers ………………..(2) 3

Goals from Nqobizitha Masuku in the 16th minute, a 30th minute own goal by How Mine defender Nyasha Mukumbi and Lawson Nkomo’s in the 67th minute secured a win for Tshintsha Guluva after they lost their first game to Black Rhinos at the same venue last weekend.

How Mine, who have been finding it difficult after they bowed out of the Caf Confederation Cup, got consolation from substitute Timothy January who came in for Heritein Masuku in the 33rd minute.

The gold miners defender Morris Kadzola, will miss the next two matches after he was shown the red card in the 81st minute for a second bookable offence by referee Mlindeli Ndebele.


How Mine coach Philani “Beefy” Ncube said his players lost to a determined team.

“We were not in the office today. We lost to a team that was determined.

“They scored two goals in the first half and it was always going to be difficult for us to come back. When we tried to raise our game it was already too late and they were so determined. I also feel that the red card was harsh because that was simulation, but he (Kadzola) was given a red card and there is nothing I can do about it.

“We have failed to transfer our performance from the Caf Confederation Cup to the domestic league, but we have to start picking points,” Ncube said.


Bantu Rovers assistant coach Mandla “Lulu” Mpofu said their players had shown courage in the local derby.

“We are a good team. It was tough playing How Mine because they are also a good side considering that they represented Zimbabwe in the Caf Confederation Cup, but we applied ourselves well and we managed to get the goals. Our players showed a lot of character and we had encouraged them to give it their best shot and that nothing was impossible. I say well done to them. Local derbies are normally not for the coaches, but they are for the players,” Mpofu said.

Bantu Rovers made their intentions known as early as the 16th minute when a lapse in the How Mine defence afforded Fortune “Fokoza” Ncube the opportunity to send the ball to Masuku who beat his marker and goalkeeper Donovan Bernard.

Four minutes later How Mine were awarded a free-kick outside the Bantu Rovers goal area after Godfrey Nguwodzawo was fouled by Zephaniah Ngodzo.


Veteran midfielder Menard Mupera’s sent the resultant kick over the bar.

In the 27th minute young Bukhosi Sibanda shot straight at the goalkeeper after receiving a pass from former Highlanders defender Nkomo.

Ncube was again troubling How Mine when he took advantage of a back pass gone wrong by Morris Kadzola in the 30th minute.

He piled pressure on Donovan who failed to clear and Ncube sent the ball across the goal mouth with Mukumbi trying to clear, but buried it in his own net.


How Mine seemed to get back in the game in the 44th minute when substitute January who had come in for Heritein Masuku connected a cross from Thembani Masuku to score for the gold miners.

How Mine:
D Benard, M Kadzola (redcard 81st minute), T Majo, N Mukumbi, G Banda, X Moyo, H Masuku (T January 33rd muinute), M Mupera, B Marere, G Nguwodzawo (E Mandiranga 52nd Minute), T Masuku (F Chirinda 76th minute)

Bantu Rovers:
B Chipula, Z Ngodzo, E Tshuma, N Masuku, L Nkomo, T Katinyu, E Dube, B Sibanda (M Majika 55th minute), P Zireni, F Ncube (T Magaisa 90th minute), S Dube (O Tarumbwa 64th minute)