Bosso hammer Shabanie Mine


HIGHLANDERS came out guns blazing scoring four past Shabanie Mine to end their winless streak in a Castle Lager Premier Soccer League (PSL) match played at Barbourfields Stadium yesterday.


Thandiwe Moyo
Sports Correspondent

Highlanders . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (2) 4
Shabanie Mine . . . . . . . . . . . . . (0) 1

Bosso were awarded two penalties by referee Bekezela Makeka with both being taken by goalkeeper Munyaradzi Diya (pictured) in the eighth and 42nd minutes. Knox Mutizwa added the third in the 58th minute while Milton Ncube scored in the dying minutes of the match.

Bosso had gone five matches without scoring and they played a goalless draw against Chapungu in their opening match of the season.

Shabanie Mine coach John Phiri said they were outplayed, but questioned the referee’s decision to award the former league champions two penalties.


“We were outplayed in the first half of the match. However, the two goals in the first half were dubious,” he said.

“Those were not penalties. In the second half we told the players that we had nothing to lose, they should keep fighting.

“I had to make an injury-inspired substitution in the first half, but that is when all our plans went wrong.

“We moved Louis Matawu into the centre because he has more experience and he did well, but he was a bit slow.”

Elated Bosso assistant coach Mark Mathe said it was good that they had scored.


“It was a good outing for us and it is positive that we scored four goals. In the friendlies and the first game that we played the goals were elusive,” he said.

“In the second half of the match we took our foot off the pedal and we lost concentration.

“I am still to ascertain on his (Gabriel Nyoni) condition, but all I know is that he could not continue playing.”

Both teams had to make injury-inspired substitutions with Shabanie being the first in the 27th minute when Phiri took out Zvikomborero Bizeki whom he said had an ankle injury, for Xolani Ncube.

Mathe, who had substituted Charles Sibanda and introduced Nyoni in the 59th minute, was forced to substitute the young striker in the 76th minute for Welcome Ndiweni.


Highlanders led as early as the eighth minute when Shabanie Mine’s Smart Muchabaiwa, while trying to clear Ncube’s cross, handled inside the box.

Diya who seems to be Bosso’s trusted penalty taker sent his opposite number Victor Twaliki the wrong way.

In the 26th minute Mthulisi Maphosa had his blistering shot saved while in the 35th minute Twaliki foiled a lob by Ncube to collect with one hand.


In the 42nd minute Makeka pointed to the spot for the second time after Hardlife Mavundi hacked Ncube down inside the box.

Ncube had received a cross from Mutizwa who had been troubling the Shabanie defence throughout the day.

Diya stepped up to the plate and again sent Twaliki diving the wrong way.

Thirteen minutes into the second half Mutizwa scored when Ncube beat his marker Rodney Mware to square the ball to an onrushing Mutizwa who shot in the third for the former league champions.


Shabanie pulled one back through Matawu after he shot from just outside the box with Diya failing to collect.

Seven minutes later Allen Tavarwisa’s cross found no takers inside the Bosso box with the Highlanders’ defenders nowhere to be seen.

About a minute into additional time Ncube added the fourth goal following a well taken corner by substitute Ndiweni.