Chiredzi stun Buffaloes in seven-goal thriller


Buffaloes ………(2) ………3
Chiredzi FC ……(2) ………4


CHIREDZI FC overcame their woes in the Premier Soccer League (PSL) campaign with spirited performance to beat army side Buffaloes 4-3 in a thrilling Chibuku Super Cup first round tie at Sakubva yesterday.

The Lowveld-based side came into the match as underdogs as they are currently at the basement of the PSL log standings with 11 points from 19 matches.

The match was delayed by almost 10 minutes as Chiredzi FC team medic Emmanuel Chituku refused to vacate the technical bench despite not having the required licence to sit on it.

He finally left the bench after the intervention of police officers. Chiredzi FC are yet to pay for licences for their assistant coaches Murinye Dzingai and Tinashe Zvishiri.

Gishon Ntini yesterday cut a lonely figure on the bench as he took all the responsibilities including being team medic.

The match started on a slow tempo with both teams taking a cautious approach as they were content on sizing each other up, but it was Buffaloes who opened the scoring in the 18th minute through Katsigu Juwakinyu after he was set up by the side’s skipper Jacob Muzokomba.

The visitors almost responded in the 23th minute but defender Phillip Chandisaita blocked from the line Sam Msimbo header to heave a huge sigh of relief for the home fans.

Chiredzi, however, found the equaliser a minute later when striker David Temwanjira let loose a scorcher just from the opposition box to beat off-form Buffaloes goalkeeper Blessing Mwandimutsira.

Gangling striker Lloyd Katongomara had the chance to thrust the home side into lead in the 36th minute, but he shot wide inside the box.

But the energetic Katongomara finally came good in the 39th minute when he roasted Chiredzi FC defender Tinashe Mutete and David Sengu on the left flank before placing the ball on the near post to beat Chiredzi FC goalkeeper Simon Kafitire.

The match went into thriller mode just a minute before half time when Tawanda Muyendi who was making his debut for Chiredzi FC, headed home Msimbo’s cross. Chiredzi FC started the second half a more-organised side when Msimbo missed the target with few inches.

Two minutes Temwanjira scored his second goal of the afternoon from a close range from a build-up that started with Tawanda Mpungu who fed Msimbo who fed the scorer.

The visitors added more pain to the hosts in the 56th minute when connected home Sam Msimbo cross.

Chiredzi FC referee Jimmy Dzingai awarded Buffaloes a penalty in the 76th minute when Katongomara was fouled by Munashe Chinembeza inside the box.

Up stepped Jacob Muzokomba to restore parity.

Gishon Ntini said his players had a good outing.

His counterpart Buffaloes assistant coach Timothy Masachi who overtook charge yesterday as the side’s head coach Luke Masomere is still reportedly attending a coaching course in the capital, said they conceded silly goals.

“We conceded soft goals, we went into the lead twice and they equalised and they finished us in the second half,” he said.

Meanwhile it was another good day in the office for another Lowveld-based side Triangle who edged Hwange 4-3 in the dreaded penalty shoot-out at the Colliery Stadium yesterday in the Chibuku first round. The match had ended 0-0 in regulation time.