Why celebrate a draw?: Kaindu asks Highlanders

Kelvin Kaindu
Kelvin Kaindu
Kelvin Kaindu

THE much-anticipated duel between Triangle and Highlanders failed to produce a winner yesterday after both teams settled for a goalless goal in a Castle Lager Premier Soccer League match played at Gibbo Stadium yesterday.


TRIANGLE . . . . . . . . . 0
HIGHLANDERS . . . . . 0

Last week, both teams drew one-all in Bulawayo, but yesterday, former Bosso gaffer Kelvin Kaindu, who has recorded impressive results at home this term, failed to breach the visitors’ rearguard.

Triangle has collected maximum points in almost all their home fixtures and their only defeat came against How Mine in a match they went down 2-1.

Kaindu said he was surprised by Bosso’s attitude of celebrating a draw.

“It was a good game, but it is quite surprising that they are celebrating a draw here. I think our game plan was affected by three technical substitutions mainly attributed to injuries,” Kaindu said.

His counterpart Bongani Mafu said it was increasingly difficult to say when their impotent strike-force would get it right.

“I think we had good chances in the first half. We should have killed the match, but we failed. It is really hurting to keep on saying that we will come right. We have strength in defence and what we just need is to score and we win our games,” he said.

Highlanders striker Knox Mtizwa, who had scored three goals in his side’s last two games, failed to capitalise on a blunder by home side shot-stopper Ashley Reyners after he failed to clear a back pass. Reyners, together with Nhamo, were later pulled out due to injuries.

At the other end, Highlanders goalkeeper Njabulo Nyoni made a fine save in the 20th minute after stopping Hillary Bakacheza’s shot inside the box.

Triangle’s Zambian import Antony Sakala headed wide, while Highlanders’ Bruce Kangwa responded with a well-struck grounder that was saved by Reyners.

In the 29th minute, Pasca Manhanga, who scored in last week’s draw, failed to connect Bakacheza’s cross with Nyoni as sea.

Defender Teenage Hadebe saved Bosso from the jaws of defeat after he cleared Sakala’s shot off the line in the 42th minute after benefiting from Jimmy Dzingai’s cross.

Four minutes from the end, Manhanga’s header was also cleared off the line as Highlanders defended for dear life.

And when Harare-based referee Nomore Musundire finally blew to end the match, it was all smiles in the Highlanders camp.