Kidnappers nabbed while spending loot


POLICE on Monday arrested three Kwekwe family members who allegedly kidnapped a local businessman’s four-year-old daughter for a $40 000 ransom.


Midlands provincial police spokesperson Inspector Emmanuel Mahoko confirmed the incident which happened during a United Family International Church service in Kwekwe on September 8.

“I can confirm that police arrested the kidnappers, but I will have to get all the details from Kwekwe police,” he said. “So you can get in touch with me later.”

A source at the Criminal Investigations Department said the suspects — Andrew Musarurwa (23), Donny (17) and Rumbidzai Chimimba (20) from Mbizo suburb — were arrested during a police raid at their hideout in Bulawayo.

The three are expected to appear in court soon.

The kidnapped girl is Kwekwe businessman Eden Muguti’s daughter.

The source said following interrogations, the gang revealed they had hatched the plot after watching a movie involving kidnapers who got rich.

It is alleged that after kidnapping the minor, Musarurwa married to Rumbidzai, took the girl to their house in Gokwe from where they later contacted Muguti demanding $40 000 ransom.

The Muguti family, following orders not to alert the police, arranged to drop off the money along the Kwekwe- Mvuma Road on September 10.

The girl’s mother, Wonai, dropped off the money at the agreed point and it was picked up by Rumbidzai who later dumped the girl at a fastfood outlet in Kwekwe.

A top detective who declined to be named said the suspects were arrested after they went on a spending spree, buying expensive household furniture.

The property included a BMW and Nissan Caravan vehicles.

Police said one of the suspects, Donny, was shot and injured in the leg after he allegedly attempted to evade arrest.

He has since been admitted to Kwekwe General Hospital where he is being treated under police guard.

“We recovered the household property, which was bought using the loot and $10 000 in cash because the other $30 000 had already been spent in just three days,” the police source said.