Chapungu humiliate Caps, Chiredzi held


CHAPUNGU stripped off a disjointed Caps United dignity with a 3-0 mauling in a Castle Lager Premier Soccer League (PSL) match at Ascot yesterday.

SPORTS reporters

Chapungu (1) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (3)
Caps United . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (0)

Chiredzi FC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .(1)1
Hwange . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (0)1

A brace by Rodwell Mhlanga and a wonder goal from Gift Phiri ensured the rout. Caps United coach Taurai Mangwiro blamed the off-field shenanigans at the club for the loss, which led to an industrial action by the players before the visit to Gweru.

“There are a lot of things happening behind the scenes which contributed to this loss. You have players like Hardlife Zvirekwi — he trained with us the whole week, but pulled out of the team at the last minute. It disturbs preparations,” Mangwiro said.

The winning coach John Nyikadzino was delighted with the good showing of his charges.

“It’s a good result. In our last games we were not burying chances, but today we did so. We also wasted some chances and I think we could have won by half a dozen goals,” he said.

The army side raced into an early lead with only three minutes played when Mhlanga got to the end of a Charles Mativenga cross.

Nyikadzino introduced Farai Manase his most lethal weapon in the 67 minute when Caps were beginning to slowly come into the game and a minute later, Manase left Caps United captain Tapiwa Kumbayani for dead before squaring the ball for Mhlanga, who had the easiest of tasks to tap home for his second of the afternoon.

Meanwhile, PSL debutants Chiredzi Football Club failed to utelise home advantage once again as they were restricted to a one-all draw by visiting Hwange in a match at Chishamiso Stadium yesterday.

Chiredzi FC are yet to collect maximum points at home as their only win came in a 2-0 victory over Bantu Rovers away in Bulawayo.

Chiredzi scored through Trevor Ndlovu in the first half before Isaac Masame equalised for the visitors in the second stanza.

The visitors overpowered their opponents in the first half, but failed to utilise chances that came their way with forward Aleck Marime missing glaring chances. Hwange head coach Nation Dube blamed the referee for the draw saying he was not happy with the level of officiating exhibited.

“l am not happy with the draw. The referee was okay in the first half, but in the second he was biased,” he said.

Moses Chunga said he was happy with his side’s performance before adding that he needs more time to fine tune the squad.

“The boys did well and it wasvery unfortunate we didn’t win the match,” he said.