Caps, Platinum draw


Caps United ….. . . 0
FC Platinum….. . . 0


CAPS United’s bid for a fist league title since 2005 suffered an upset yesterday after they dropped two points against FC Platinum at the National Sports Stadium to widen the gap between them and Dynamos to seven points.

Caps entered the afternoon five points behind Dynamos and needed a win to keep the pace after the defending champions beat Harare City 5-3 across town at Rufaro Stadium.

While remaining at number three, Taurai Mangwiro’s men fired blanks all afternoon to complicate their campaign which is now left with three games.

“What we wanted today (yesterday) was to pick up maximum points to keep life in our campaign, but unfortunately we could not win,” he said.

“At the end of the day we have ourselves to blame for failing to get goals. It was a cagey affair as both teams were cancelling each other in midfield.”

Their opponents, Highlanders, did not do themselves a favour either after allowing Hwange to dislodge them from the top four.

But coach Norman Mapeza is not crying for failing to pick up maximum points as they eye a top-four finish.Norman-Mapeza

“It was a well-balanced game and I think we did well,” he said.

“We had some distant chances and could have wrapped up the game. Getting a point was a fair result at the end of the day.

“All we wanted was to get something from this game so a point is fair for us and our top- four target is still possible. We did not do well in the final third.”

Expectations of an explosive battle were high going into this match, but it turned out to be a calm afternoon.

Gift Bello could have broken the impasse 15 minutes into the match, but his headed effort was blocked by Tafadzwa Dube in goal for Caps United.

Moments later Hardlife Zvirekwi did not jump high enough to meet a Ronald Pfumbidzai cross with the FC Platinum goal open.

Pfumbidzai hit the cross bar with a 27th minute shot in what was the last meaningful scoring chance of the first half.

The visitors had a penalty appeal turned down by referee Batsirai Muchenje after Obrey Chirwa was fouled on the edge of the box and the Zambian forward was cautioned for diving.

Kelvin Bulaji headed just wide while his teammate Zvirekwi’s diving header also went narrowly off goal from a Dominic Chungwa delivery.

On the stroke of fulltime, Muchenje ignored CAPS’ penalty appeal after Raphael Muduviwa appeared to have handled a Pfumbidzai cross.