Zanu PF activist refuses to pay rentals, bills


A Zanu PF youth activist, Fundisani Dewa, is reportedly refusing to pay rentals and vacate rented premises in Bulawayo’s Hillside suburb, despite receiving several eviction notices.


Dewa received a notice to vacate 1a Kerry Road, Hillside, Bulawayo, on November 25 2014 from landlord, Violet Bridget Lunga, but he ignored the notice and owes $1 500.

According to documents at hand, Dewa has not paid rentals, water and telephone bills since then, and has been arraigned before the Matabeleland Rent Board, but without success.

“Kindly consider this letter as a written notice to vacate the rental premises located at 1a Kerry Road, Hillside, Bulawayo, within 30 days.

“The notice period shall begin from the day this notice is received by you,” Lunga, based in Botswana, wrote to Dewa on November 25 last year.

Lunga (56) appointed her father, Reginald Elliot Moyo, who is based in Bulawayo, to be her lawful agent with full power to evict Dewa, but without success.

In January, the matter was referred to the Matabeleland Rent Board that said Dewa should vacate the premises by February 7.

“This is to certify that Fundisani Dewa from house No 1a Kerry Road, Hillside, has been issued with a certificate of ejectment permitting his eviction, this certificate is issued by the Western Region Rent Board, in terms on Section 30 of S.I 32 OF 2007.

“This eviction is to effect by 7/02/15,” an eviction notice dated January 29 to Dewa by the Matabeleland Rent Board reads in part.

The Rent Board notice was stamped at the Provincial Magistrates’ Courts on January 31.

According to the summons, Dewa’s outstanding rentals were $1 500 as of last month.

He has not paid the Bulawayo City Council for water supplies for months, and owes the local authority $430.

He also owes the TelOne a total of $873,76 in outstanding telephone bills, according to a letter written to the landlord by the Matabeleland control manager for TelOne.

On January 9, council disconnected water supplies over outstanding bill payments of $430. It could not be established if the water supplies had been restored.

However, Dewa told Southern Eye yesterday he would stay put at the premises until the courts ordered him to vacate.

“If someone has a genuine claim, they should go to the courts,” he said.

“They should go to the courts and if I lose the case, I will accept the ruling and leave the premises.”

Dewa refused to comment on why he was ignoring eviction notices.