Mat Warriors coach still in hospital


MATABELELAND Warriors assistant coach Vusumuzi Ndebele is still in a serious condition while head coach Ruben Kumpasa has been discharged from hospital after the pair were injured in a car accident on their way to Harare for a Lion Lager National Rugby League (NRL) match against Harare Sports Club (HSC) on Saturday.

By Vitalis Moyo, sports reporter

The match was later called off due to the accident.

The match was a rescheduled fixture as the two sides were supposed to clash in April, but could not since HSC had three of their players called up for national duty with the Cheetahs.

The accident occurred during the early hours of Saturday morning when the team bus rammed into a bridge outside Kwekwe with the Warriors players escaping without any injuries.

Ndebele, who suffered a broken sheen, was initially admitted at Kwekwe General Hospital before being transferred to United Bulawayo Hospitals where his condition is reported to be still critical.

Meanwhile, Kumpasa who had his ankle broken during the crash was discharged from hospital, but still needs to undergo an operation on his ankle as his foot is dislocated from the leg.

Matabeleland Rugby Football board vice-president Sean Robinson told Southern Eye Sport they will support the team during this difficult time.

“It is sad news that Mat Warriors were involved in a road accident. I heard that Rueben Kumpasa broke his ankle while Vee Ndebele broke his leg and is still in hospital. The Warriors team returned home without making it to Harare due to the accident. We are going to support them through this time as Matabeleland Rugby board,” Robinson said.

Both coaches were sitting in front passenger seats when the accident occurred.

This is the second road accident involving a NRL side after another crash claimed the life of Zvishavane Bulls player Slimfield “WekwaJesu” Moyo, near Shurugwi.

The accident occurred while the Bulls players were making their way to Zvishavane to prepare for a NRL match against Old Miltonians Mc Adams Fields.

The Zvishavane Bulls flyhalf died shortly after the accident upon arrival at Shurugwi Government Hospital while Tonderai Bvumbe, Masimba Muzenda and Lewis Kuchineyi escaped the accident with injuries.