National Youth Games budget revised down

THE Sports and Recreation Commission (SRC) co-ordinator for Bulawayo Metropolitan Province Sam Dzvimbu says the National Youth Games budget has been revised downwards from $1,6 million dollars to $1,4 million dollars.

REPORT BY VITALIS MOYO.

The 11th edition of the games is to be held in the province from August 17-25.

Speaking at a Press conference organised by the Local Organising Committee (LOC), Dzvimbu said that LOC had managed to meet 40% of the budget with the remaining 60% to be met before the start of the games.

“There are good indications from potential partners that they may provide us with some of the material things we need. We have since revised the budget
downwards from the initial $1,6 million as we have acquired new and updated quotations for all the work that needs to be done for the hosting of the games,” Dzvimbu said.

Provinces are expected to pay their affiliation fees as well as fork out $70 for each athlete to take part in the games.

“The government will also contribute to us meeting the required budget through a grant that is to be allocated specifically for the hosting of the games. Currently we have 60% of the provinces that have paid their affiliations and we are organising another dinner dance to be held in Harare where we are looking at raising 30% of the funds needed for hosting,” Dzvimbu said.

SRC held the first dinner dance in Bulawayo earlier this year where $233 000 was raised.

“Our target is to have 60% of the budget met by the time the general managers representing the 10 provinces come on July 17-20 for the inspection on the
progress made in meeting the recommendations made in our previous meeting,” Dzvimbu said.

Forty one officials will be part of the Bulawayo team while 219 athletes are expected to represent the province in sporting disciplines, which include netball, handball, basketball, volleyball, football, tennis, boxing and athletics.

Most of the volunteers for the Youth Games are set to come from different training colleges in the city like Bulawayo Polytechnic, National University of Science and Technology, Hillside Teachers’ College as well as United College of Education.

The deadline for selection of teams to represent the province is set for July 15.

Our Partners:   NewsDay   The Independent   TheStandard  MyClassifieds