HomeSportFootballHarare City beat How Mine

Harare City beat How Mine


Harare City . . . . . . . (1) 1
How Mine . . . . . . . . . . . 0

Sukoluhle Mthethwa
Sports Reporter

SILAS Songani’s first-half strike was all Harare City needed to beat giant killers How Mine at Barbourfields Stadium yesterday to stay in contention for the Castle Lager Premier Soccer League (PSL) title.

Songani struck in the 19th minute to give the Sunshine Boys maximum points as they moved up a rung to third after FC Platinum were shocked 1-2 by Triangle.

The Harare side finished the match with 10 men after Munyaradzi Nyenye was sent off in injury time for a second bookable offence by referee Rugare Kusosa.

Usually reliable Menard Mupera missed a spot-kick for the Metallon Gold-sponsored side in the 48th minute.


City has 45 points from 25 games while How Mine are ninth on the log with 35 points from the same number of games.

How Mine coach Philani “Beefy” Ncube was disappointed with the result, but congratulated Harare City for their win.


“It seems we can win away from home, but lose at home,” he said.

“We gave a good account of ourselves, but it was not our day because we missed a penalty.

“Harare City got an opportunity and they used it. Their strategy worked.

“I wish Harare City the best. I think fatigue is catching up with us because we have played three games in seven days.”


Bigboy Mawiwi, the City coach said their strategy for the day worked.

“Barbourfields Stadium suits our type of play which is the passing game,” Mawiwi said.

“We did well and we should have utilised the chances we got.

“In the second half we continued with our passing game but we knew How Mine would use counter attacks.

“But we were physically stronger. We had pressure coming into this game because we were playing well, but not getting all the points,” he said.


“The three points will take us far in the championship.”

City started on the offensive and could have gone a goal up when Osborne Mukuradare headed wide a Songani cross five minutes into the match.

Simba Sithole for How Mine was gifted with a chance to score for the home team, but shot straight at the goalkeeper in the 10th minute.

The visitors ventured forward in search of a goal and were rewarded in the 19th minute when Songani fired past former Warriors goalkeeper Ephraim Mazarura following an exchange of passes with Crybert Muvuti.

Harare City could have got the second in the 42nd minute when Mukuradare set up Godfrey Nguwodzawo whose shot hit the upright post after Mazarura had spilled the ball.

Kusosa pointed to the spot when Sithole was hacked down in the box by Crispen Dickson in the 48th minute.

Mupera took the responsibility, but his spot-kick was punched out by City goalkeeper Maxwell Nyamupanedengu.








Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading