FIVE of the six Zimbabweans, who died in South Africa last week after a Harare-bound bus was involved in a head-on collision with a small car on the N1 Highway between Polokwane and Beitbridge, were buried in Kezi over the weekend.
A source close to the matter said the five were buried on Saturday in the Marinoha area of Kezi.
“Three of them where from the Fuzane family while the other two were from the Moyo family. They were all buried in Kezi on Saturday,” said the source.
However, Southern Eye could not ascertain where the other body was buried.
The six were instantly killed while five occupants of a Toyota Corolla heading towards Johannesburg also lost their lives in the head-on collision. Both drivers were among the dead.
Seven people, including a two-year-old baby, were critically injured and rushed to Pietersburg Provincial Hospital.
Thirty others were treated for less serious injuries at Seshego Hospital and released before being taken to the South African Department of Home Affairs.
A four-year-old child, whose parents were critically injured in the accident, was being cared for at the Polokwane Care
South African police said the Gudwil Luxury Coaches bus was trying an overtaking manoeuvre shortly after 2am when it rammed head-on into the Corolla on the N1 near the Capricorn Plaza in Limpopo.
Limpopo police spokesperson Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi said:
“What happened was that a bus was overtaking a truck and as it was overtaking, it then collided head-on with a Toyota Corolla.”