THE year 2013 has been a challenging year for many. When the year began most of us had a long list of things we hoped to achieve this past year.
However, in retrospect, life has thrown lemons at us and we have not achieved half the things on our to-do list.
As the year 2014 begins, we are faced with a choice to either adopt a positive attitude, or to be pessimistic about the future.
Sporting a new attitude is not always easy.
We will all be faced with challenging circumstances in our lives, but we must view our circumstances with a positive attitude.
I would like to share 10 steps towards developing and maintaining a positive mental attitude as suggested by Napoleon Hill in his book Keys to Positive Thinking.
- Take possession of your own mind with conviction,
- Keep your mind on the things you want and off the things you do not want,
- Do unto others as you would have them do unto you,
- Eliminate all negative thoughts by self-inspection,
- Be happy. Make others happy,
- Form a habit of tolerance,
- Give yourself positive suggestions,
- Use the power of prayer,
- Set goals,
- Study, think and plan daily.
No matter what your circumstances may be in life, you have the potential to change your attitude about yourself.
As Ruby Ashley says: “A positive mental attitude has the power to help you achieve goals, fulfil your dreams and change your life.”
Allow me to wish you a happy and prosperous 2014!
- Nonto Masuku is an executive partner of an image management consultancy firm.