HomeSportFootballChiredzi in first win

Chiredzi in first win


CHIREDZI registered their first win of the season when they beat Bantu Rovers in a lukewarm Castle Lager Premier Soccer League match played at Luveve Stadium yesterday.

Thandiwe Moyo
Sports Correspondent

Bantu Rovers ………. 0
Chiredzi………………..(2) 2

The lowveld-based team who are second from the bottom got their goals courtesy of a brace from Davide Mutemwanjera in the 15th and 44th minutes.

They remain rooted on second from bottom position with Bantu Rovers moving one place down to 12th place.

Bantu Rovers will rue missed chances including a penalty in the 54th minute by Obadiah Tarumbwa saved by goalkeeper Simon Kafitire for Chiredzi and indirect free-kick inside the Chiredzi box in the 66th minute.

Bantu Rovers coach Methembe Ndlovu who joined the team from the United Kingdom yesterday, said his team was under pressure from the onset.

“From the first minute we were under pressure and we never got back even after they scored the first goal. Even before they scored we were not there. We did not come to the party,” he said.

“We were not in the game and even the changes that we made that we thought could improve the match did not. Lawson (Nkomo) and Nqo (Nqobizitha Masuku) were injured and there was no point in keeping them there. We were looking at the bigger picture. We cannot have them continue playing then they miss five consecutive matches.”

Chiredzi played without head coach Moses Chunga who was sitting in the terraces with assistant coach Dzingai Muringe taking over.

Muringe refused to divulge why the former Warriors gaffer was not on the bench saying it was an administrative issue.

“We feel good about the win. We have been playing good football, but failing to win and today we relieved the pressure. We are going to keep fighting and playing good football. Unfortunately that (Chunga being on the terraces) is an administrative issue. I cannot comment on it,” Muringe said.

Bantu Rovers had the opportunity to score first as early as the 10th minute, however, Fortune Ncube’s shot from Nkomo went wide.

Five minutes later Mutemwanjera was set up by Marlven Gaki and he tapped in a shot to score the first for the visitors.

Thandazani Ndlovu’s speculative effort in the 32nd minute hit the cross bar.

Mutemwanjera’s 44th minute header put Chiredzi two up following a cross from veteran midfielder Rowan Nenzou.

Bantu Rovers were given the opportunity to reduce the arrears in the 54th minute when referee Bonmali Bwanali adjuged that Chiredzi defender Gift Kwaramba had handled inside the box and pointed to the spot.

Former Highlanders midfielder Tarumbwa’s shot from the deadball situation saw the keeper diving the right way to save and dent the already broken Bantu Rovers’ fans hearts further.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading