David Moyes investigated over alleged bar assault

POLICE are investigating reports of an assault in a wine bar in Lancashire allegedly involving the former Manchester United manager David Moyes and another man.

Moyes (51) sacked last month by Manchester United with four games to go before the end of his first season, was in a wine bar in Clitheroe on Wednesday evening.

Police said there was an incident in the wine bar, the Emporium, which was now under investigation.

In a statement Lancashire police said: “Police are investigating a report of an assault at the Emporium wine bar in Clitheroe.

“Officers attended the bar at about 10pm on Wednesday and it was reported that a 23-year-old local man had been assaulted by a 51-year-old man. He did not require hospital treatment.

“Inquiries are ongoing and we are speaking to a number of people to try to establish the circumstances.

“There are a number of differing accounts, which we need to work through to try to establish exactly what has happened. No one has been arrested at this stage.”

Police are examining CCTV footage from the bar and speaking to people who were in there at the time. The incident is understood to have happened outside the Emporium at around 10.30pm on Wednesday.

Moyes had been having dinner at the nearby Piccolino restaurant with two friends. The trio then walked across the road to the Emporium for a drink.

It is understood that Moyes was involved in an argument with a 23-year-old man and that at some stage a glass was either smashed or fell off an outside table.

Two police cars stopped at the scene and officers spoke to the parties involved.

A spokesman for the Emporium said yesterday: “There was an incident that happened outside the building. However, it did not affect any of the customers or staff, and has been dealt with by the police.”

– Guardian

Our Partners:   NewsDay   The Independent   TheStandard  MyClassifieds