Triangle hold Bosso


HIGHLANDERS dropped two more points in the Castle Lager Premier Soccer League title race when they shared the spoils with 10-man Triangle at Gibbo Stadium yesterday.


Triangle…………..(0) 1
Highlangers…….(1) 1

Charles Sibanda scored for Bosso in the ninth minute via the penalty spot before Triangle levelled matters through Brian Juwayeyi.

And yesterday saw another injury to Mamelodi Sundowns-bound Kuda Mahachi who had to be helped to the dressing room by the team doctor at the end of the match in tears as he struggled to walk with a shin injury.

Mahachi was crudely hacked down by Charles Rukwanhi in the centre circle. Rukwanhi was shown the red card by referee Munyaradzi Majoni for the tackle.

This was Bosso’s second draw in a row and sixth overall, but they are yet to lose this season. They dropped to second position with 21 points, one behind leaders Hwange who beat Dynamos 1-0 at the Colliery yesterday.

Triangle, placed 14th on the log, are struggling in their second year in the top-flight league and have collected a mere nine points from the opening 11 matches.

After their 0-1 defeat against the league’s champions Dynamos last Sunday, the side’s gaffer Biggie Zuze was under pressure to save his job against Bosso yesterday.

A series of meetings were held in the Lowveld to discuss his fate, but it was reported the club’s executive was divided over his fate.

The club is taking into consideration the costs of hiring a new coach, but after yesterday’s draw the gaffer might be off the hook-at least for now — as he needs to get back to winning ways or the team will be playing in Division One next year.

Zuze wore a brave face yesterday.

“It was good to collect a point against Highlanders. Remember we were playing a team that is playing well. The good thing is that my players were not intimidated. We wanted to win, but the defender was careless with that tackle (leading to a penalty),” he said.

“But the one think I like is that the draw is going to give us an edge in our next assignment against Black Rhinos.”

His counterpart Kelvin Kaindu was not happy with the result.

“The first half was dull, but the second half picked up. Generally l am not happy with the draw as we conceded a silly goal,” he said.

Highlanders were awarded a penalty in the ninth minute by referee Majoni after defender Jimmy Tigere brought Gabriel Nyoni down inside the box. Up stepped Sibanda to slot the ball home past Triangle goalkeeper Ronald Mudimu.

The home side had their best chance to level terms in the 25th minute after being awarded a free-kick just at the edge of the box.

Five minutes later Knox Mtizwa was selfish after he tried to shoot from an acute angle instead of passing the ball to Nyoni, who was unmarked inside the box. Mudimu did well to cover the near post before parrying the resultant shot for a corner-kick.

Tineyi Chitora who was wasteful through-out the afternoon saw his low pile drive shot saved Highlanders’ number one Arial Sibanda.

It seems the half time pep talk paid dividends for the home side as they found the equaliser just three minutes after the breather.

Richard Kawondera did well on the right flank by beating Simon Munawa before sending a low cross that was pushed firmly into the nets by Juwayeyi past the diving Sibanda.

Highlanders picked up the pieces late in the second half and they could have taken the lead in the 78th minute when Mahachi’s free-kick found Nyoni inside the box, but his header was tipped over the bar by Mudimu.