A TRIMMED Zimbabwe national junior athletics team will troop into camp in the capital on Wednesday ahead of the World Junior Championships to be held in the United States from July 22 to 27.
A total of 14 athletes had initially qualified to represent the country at the prestigious event and the National Athletics Association of Zimbabwe had confirmed that 14 athletes had qualified.
There was a sudden turn of events last week when the athletics governing body announced that they were no longer able to send all the 14 athletes due to financial constraints.
Only five athletes, four boys and a girl will now be travelling to represent the country at the championships.
The four boys who will form the 4×100 relay team are Michael Songore, Kudakwashe Nyahuma, Clide Rusinga and South African-based Shingirai Hlangayo.
Songore and Rusinga will also take part in individual categories, the 200m and 400m hurdles respectively.
The only female who has made it on the final list is Enlitta Ncube who will compete in the 1 500m race.
Zimbabwe has dropped the 4×100 relay team which had Tsitsi Mahachi, Ruvarashe Muzinde, Mazvita Mutisi and Chido Dzinotyiwei.
Other dropped members in both female and male categories are Tendai Zimuto 5 000m, Shaun Banda, Nyasha Mutsetse 8 000m and Maryjoy Mudyiravanji 1 500.
In an interview with Standardsport national team head coach Silas Muringani said although it was difficult to leave the other athletes it was now time to focus on the event.
“Yes it was difficult for the athletes because they were looking forward for the championships. We do not have sponsorship to bankroll the athletes and this is why we came up with the decision to match the resources available for now,” he said.
“The players are training in their provinces with their respective coaches. But we are planning to camp in Harare in July.