HomeSportFootballMudimu penalty gives Triangle maximum points

Mudimu penalty gives Triangle maximum points


Triangle . . . . . . . . . . . (0)1
Hwange . . . . . . . . . . . (0)


GOALKEEPER Ronald Mudimu converted a second-half spot-kick that gave 10-man Triangle maximum points against Hwange in a Castle Lager Premier Soccer League match at Gibbo Stadium yesterday.

The win eased the Lowveld-based side relegation worries as they moved to 34 points, but are still in the danger zone as they have the same number of points as Chapungu (10th), Black Rhinos and Harare City.

Triangle, winners of the One Wallet Cup, have two home matches against Chiredzi and Shabanie to save their season.

There were ugly scenes after the match as the Hwange technical bench charged towards the match officials, accusing them of bias, but were blocked by security details.

Triangle head coach Biggie Zuze said he was happy with the win, adding that they were now hoping to collect maximum points in their next two matches to survive relegation.

“I am happy with the win and the boys showed great character, but the red card nearly affected us. We are now hoping to collect maximum points in our next matches.”

His counterpart Nation Dube said match officiating was poor after seeing his charges failing to reclaim fourth place from FC Platinum who beat Chicken Inn 2-0 on Saturday to move to 45 points. Hwange remained on 42 points.

“This was daylight robbery, the referee was biased against us and this is not good at all,” he said.

Triangle, who have roped in former Highlanders coach Kelvin Kaindu as technical advisor, almost opened their account just four minutes into the match when striker Felix Kuswatuka threaded a fine pass to Nhamo Lameck, but his shot was blocked by Hwange shot-stopper Takabva Mawaya.

Lameck managed to get the better of his markers on the right flank, but his good cross found no takers in the 10th minute with the visitors defence at sixes and sevens.

Hwange had a real chance to open the floodgates in the 22th minute after veteran defender Gilbert Zulu found Rodwell Chinyengetere with a fine cross, but he headed over the bar.

The defining moment of the game arrived in the 57th minute when Munyaradzi Mungadze tackled Brian Juwayeyi to clear the ball inside the box and referee Rugare Kusosa awarded a penalty that was eventually converted by Mudimu.

Triangle defender Charles Rukwanhi was then red-carded in the 76th minute after he pulled Evans Rusike.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading