Highlanders resurgence continues

Hwange FC . . . . . . . . . . .(0) 2
Highlanders . . . . . . . .(3) 4
Highlanders maintained their good run in the Castle Lager Premier Soccer League when they walloped hosts Hwange at the Colliery Stadium yesterday.

By Tinashe Mungazi

Ralph Matema capitalised on Andrew Chuma’s blunder to slide the ball past Takabva Mawaya after just four minutes into play.

Bosso continued pushing for more goals, as the Bulawayo giants crashed one against the post and also called on Mawaya to make saves early on.

Hwange missed a golden opportunity to level the scores after Munyaradzi Mugadze failed to convert a good cross from Pritchard Mpelele, but instead sent his effort wide.

It was the persistence by the visitors that paid off in the 30th minute when Knox Mutizwa received a cross from left winger Valentine Ndaba to beat Mawaya.

With Hwange still trying to recover from the setback, Matema grabbed his brace benefiting from a Mutizwa pass just three minutes after the previous goal.

Bosso had thrust themselves into the comfort zone, but they continued pouring forward, while the hosts were not cowed by the scoreline, as they made forays of their own, with Mpelele and Rodwell Chinyengetere threatening.

Three minutes into the second half, Hwange pulled one back through a well-calculated header by David Boriwondo from a corner kick by Farai Vimisai, who had come in as a substitute.

The goal seemed to have woken the coal miners, as they continued piling pressure on Bosso’s goal, with Vimisai coming close to scoring their second.

In the 71st minute, Sianchali further reduced the arrears when he turned in a cross from Mpelele to send the home side’s fans into a frenzy.

The coal miners’ fate was, however, sealed when Mutizwa scored his 14th goal of the season with King Nadolo providing the assist on 90 minutes.

Hwange coach, Nation Dube blamed referee Allan Mbazvi for their loss, arguing his officiating was questionable.
“We lost as a result of fatigue. We also feel that the questionable officiating by the referee cost us a great deal,” he said.

Bosso technical director, Cosmas Zulu said the win was a result of hard work at training.
“We knew we were going to score a number of goals, though the game we played against Platinum FC drained the boys,” he said

“We want to meet our target of finishing in the top six, so we have been working hard at training.”

Our Partners:   NewsDay   The Independent   TheStandard  MyClassifieds