Queens International Pool tourney returns

Tournament founder and president Tawanda Mupenzwa said preparations were complete, with world-class playing equipment already installed at the venue.

Bulawayo is set to become Africa’s pool capital this weekend after Queens Sports Club confirmed that all is in place to host the fourth edition of the Queens International Pool Tournament from May 23 to 26.

The fast-growing competition has evolved from a modest 2022 initiative into one of the continent’s most anticipated pool tournaments, with players from 12 African countries expected to battle for honours in what organisers say will be a blockbuster event.

Tournament founder and president Tawanda Mupenzwa said preparations were complete, with world-class playing equipment already installed at the venue.

“Sixteen United Kings tables have already been set for the event. We are anticipating that it will be a blockbuster. There will be over 300 people at the venue,” Mupenzwa said.

“Over 5000 concurrent people will be watching live and over 10 million unique impressions across various social media platforms.”

Mupenzwa said the tournament had grown beyond expectations, with organisers forced to expand the number of participants following overwhelming demand.

“However due to demand we have lifted the number of participants with the main category now having gone up from 96 to 128,” he said.

“For the masters category which is for those above 40 years the number has risen from 32 to 48 with the ladies category rising from 32 to 48. This means that the total of players contesting for honours is now 224.”

The tournament’s roll of honour reflects its rise in stature, with South Africa’s Jeremiah Naidoo winning the inaugural edition in 2022, Uganda’s Ceaser Chandinga taking the 2023 crown and Aden Joseph clinching the 2025 title after a gruelling campaign.

The return of all three champions has set the stage for what organisers are billing as a “clash of kings”, with each aiming to become the first player to win the trophy more than once.

Mupenzwa said the growth of the tournament had been driven by increasing interest across the continent.

“We hosted this in 2022 as a way of gathering international players and seeing quality matches,” he said.

“However, the tournament has now outgrown our original vision. The interest and expectations from all over Africa have kept us going.”

Some of Africa’s biggest names have already started arriving in the country, including Naidoo, Chandinga, Malawi’s Stanford Grievin and Zambia’s Kelvin Nkandu.

Chief organiser Cravo Platnums said the event was on course to meet all deadlines ahead of the official opening on Saturday.

“The preparations are at an advanced stage to meet the deadline before kick-off,” Platnums said.

Queens Sports Club president Ntuthuko Henford Gabellah said hosting the tournament was not only about competition,, but also about elevating pool’s status and positioning Bulawayo as a destination for major sporting events.

“It’s an extraordinary thrill to witness how far this tournament has come,” he said.

“What was once dismissed as a bar-room pastime has evolved into a fully recognised sport, and Queens Sports Club is immensely proud to be part of that transformation.

“To now see Africa’s finest talent converging here, with all roads leading to our club, is the ultimate validation. This is no longer just a competition; it’s a movement, and we are honoured to lead it.”

The competition will feature three categories, open, masters and ladies with a lucrative prize structure expected to attract elite talent and rising challengers.

In the open category, the winner will walk away with US$5 000, while second place will pocket US$3 000, third US$2 000 and fourth US$1 000.

Players finishing between fifth and eighth will each receive US$500.

In the ladies category, the winner will receive US$2 500, second place US$1 000 and third US$600.

A number of top local and regional players are expected to challenge for honours, including Malvern Mukonza, Uganda’s Rasheeda Mutesi and Rukia Naiga, and South Africa’s Nicola Rossouw.

Other contenders tipped to shake up the title race include Eshca Chimbwanda and Kelvin Fikoti, alongside emerging talents eager to upset the established order.

The tournament is also receiving strong corporate backing, with more than 15 partners coming on board, including Mao Logistics, Nevsun Select, Red Arrow Forwarding, Earth Quip Engineering and Rubber City.

Participating countries include Zimbabwe, South Africa, Zambia, Mozambique, Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Namibia, Nigeria, Eswatini and Botswana.

The finals will be played on Tuesday, as Bulawayo braces for four days of high-stakes cue action and continental bragging rights.

Related Topics