Mawere, govt headed for clash

SOUTH Africa-based Zimbabwe businessman Mutumwa Mawere is headed for a showdown with the government following his recent application at the Constitutional Court (Concourt) to repossess his businesses taken over by the State.

STEPHEN CHADENGA
OWN CORRESPONDENT

Mines and Mining Development minister Walter Chidhakwa told journalists on the sidelines of long-service awards at Mimosa Mine in Zvishavane on Saturday that the government was ready to defend itself after Mawere filed an urgent Concourt application in a bid to repossess his businesses, among them, Shabanie and Mashaba Mines (SMM).

Chidhakwa said the government was committed to resuscitating the asbestos mines that had seen workers going for years without being paid.

“We are aware that we have been taken to court by Mawere but as the government we are ready to make a response to the application and defend our case,” he said.

“SMM remain strategic entities to the revival of the country’s economy and as such we are going to make sure that problems bedevilling the mines are addressed.”

SMM was once wholly-owned by Mawere before being taken over by the government amid allegations that he had externalised foreign currency.

Chidhakwa said his deputy, Fred Moyo had already met with management at the mine to try and come up with solutions that would ensure that the companies resume full operations.

Chidhakwa also hailed Mimosa for honouring its workers at a time when most companies were neglecting the contributions employees make to their success.

He said rewarding workers for their role at the workplace was key to any organisation’s success.

A rig operator, Average Ncube, scooped Mimosa’s worker of the year award and walked away with 270 litres of fuel, a deep freezer, a shield and a neck tie.

Our Partners:   NewsDay   The Independent   TheStandard  MyClassifieds