Monte Carlo Centre faces closure


MONTE CARLO CENTRE along Fife Street in Bulawayo faces imminent closure after operating for close to a year without electricity and water posing a serious health hazard.


Council cut water supplies off while Zesa Holdings turned off power for non-payment of a combined bill of about $100 000.

The centre houses hair salons, driving schools, a night club and a number of small offices.

Tenants expressed anger at the manner in which the building was being managed saying they paid rent monthly, but the owners did not clear the utility bills resulting in services being cut leaving them suffering losses due to the deteriorating conditions.

The tenants have resorted to using generators to power their activities and have to rely on neighbouring buildings for toilets or make use of the city’s public toilets.

Workers at the centre said they brought water from home to enable their clients to get proper services.

“We have been paying money and have since taken the owner of the building to court. We hope that next week when we go to the court we will be given a verdict that favours our business because we have suffered a lot,” a tenant who requested anonymity said.

“We are not sure but when we inquired, we were told that the building is in serious arrears with Zesa and the city council and the amount is close to $100 000.”

Bulawayo mayor Martin Moyo said he was not aware that there was a public building that operated without electricity and water.

“I’m not aware that a big building like Monte Carlo Centre operates without water,” he said.

“I will follow it up and we will make sure that the building is closed down.

“This can be a serious health hazard that can affect many people within the surrounding areas.”

Moyo said under council policy the building should be closed and he would inquire from the city’s director of health services why the building has continued to operate without water for so long.

“According to council policy, no building should operate without water,” he said.

“I am shocked that this building has operated for close to a year without water.