Magwegwe house gutted by fire

A BULAWAYO man yesterday lost property worth about $10 000 when a fire engulfed two rooms he rents in New Magwegwe.

Firefighters who put out the fire in Magwegwe yesterday pack their equipment

Firefighters who put out the fire in Magwegwe yesterday pack their equipment


BENSON DUBE
OWN CORRESPONDENT

Kainos Nzvenga said he had recently bought the property and did not know the cause of the fire.

“I just do not know what exactly what happened. I only arrived when the two rooms were already on fire,” he said.

“I had just bought some new leather sofas, room divider and home theatre system which were all destroyed by the fire.

“Although all the property has been burnt, I need to work on repairing damage to my landlord’s house.

“I am grateful for what the neighbours did because the fire brigade only arrived when the fire had been put out otherwise more damage could have been done.”

According to a neighbour and eyewitness, Getrude Maseko, she went to investigate smoke that was billowing from the roof of the house.

“I was talking to a friend when I smelt something burning and when l went to check. I saw smoke coming from the rooftop and then later a huge flame,” she said.

“I shouted for help and people from the neighbourhood responded.

“One man broke the door down to gain entry and salvaged some property you are seeing outside here (sofas, wardrobe and some blankets) before the fire brigade came. We also tried to put out the fire using buckets.”

The high incidence of fire in urban areas has been attributed to Zesa’s frequent power cuts.

Our Partners:   NewsDay   The Independent   TheStandard  MyClassifieds