HomeNewsCrimeZimbabwean student found dead

Zimbabwean student found dead


A ZIMBABWEAN female student at a South African university was on Thursday last week found dead in her room in what is suspected to be murder case.


Nozipho Sibonokuhle Tshuma (30) was doing her third and final year in internal auditing at Vaal University of Technology (VUT) in Gauteng.

An executive director at the institution, Mike Khumboni confirmed the incident and said the South African police were yet to reveal the cause of the death.

“One of our student’s was found dead in her room on our campus and the SA Police are currently conducting the pathology tests, which will ultimately indicate the cause of the death,” he said.

Khumboni said no one had been arrested over the matter, saying this was the second death to occur at the campus.

“Unfortunately to date, VUT has had two reported deaths on campus and also no suspect has yet been arrested in connection with Tshuma’s death,”

“The SA police together with our internal investigating officer have been assigned to this case and are currently investigating.”

Contacted for comment Nozipho’s mother, Nolizwe Tshuma expressed shock at the death of her daughter, who she said was epileptic.

“I am told she must have died on Thursday, but I got the information on Saturday,” the grief stricken mother said.

“I had been sending her WhatsApp messages, but she was not responding and I thought since she was epileptic she might have suffered a seizure.

“I then asked her friends to check on her.”

Tshuma said it took a while for the friend to send feedback.

“She later, at 2am on Saturday, responded telling me that she found her dead,” she said.

“I only saw the message at 8am. She told me that they found her dead and it appeared, according to the post-mortem, she had been dead for 31 hours.”

Tshuma said the post-mortem report showed that she was raped and strangled, as her neck had scratches.

She said this clearly shows that she might have been murdered.

“Our plans are that she will be buried at West Park cemetery in Bulawayo on Saturday.” she said.

“We are in Harare at the moment, where we met the Nyaradzo Funeral Services officials.

“The officials have since arranged with the Kings and Queens Funeral Services, so their branch in South Africa will take her to the airport for reparation to Harare.”

Tshuma said a church service will be held in South Africa, before she is taken to the airport tomorrow and on Friday they will leave Harare for Bulawayo to bury her on Saturday.

Gauteng police spokesperson Captain Kabelo Marumo was not immediately available for comment.

Another police official said they had not received a report on the alleged murder

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading