NDOLWANE Supersounds frontman Martin Sibanda has dismissed reports that he was assaulted by revellers at Nketa 8 beer garden on November 1 after his band’s failed to take to the stage on time.
Speaking to Southern Eye Lifestyle, the disgruntled musician said he was not happy with media reports he was getting.
“I’m not happy with what B-Metro always writes about us,” he said.
“They do nothing to promote our music as a local newspaper. Instead they de-market us whenever they think about writing about local artistes, especially Martin. They always write lies.
“The show was never advertised to start at 5pm as claimed but was advertised to start at 6pm. The show delayed to start because of a fire that almost cost the bar but it was quickly put off.
There was no electricity so we used the generator,” the musician explained.
“Before 8pm Dubia Masters was already warming up the stage, electricity came back at 9pm and there was a delay for us to start as they changed from generator to electricity.
That’s when some fans approached me in the car where I was seated.
“They demanded that I go on stage, which is normal though some used impolite language. They were shouting, but I was never assaulted. If I was assaulted before the show, how then did I go on to perform.”
Owner and manager of the bar Alwyn Bernard also dismissed claims that Sibanda was assaulted.
“The show started a little later than expected as we had to put out a fire at the bar earlier on,” he said.
“We were about an hour or two behind time because of the incident. Martin and his crew were not assaulted or booed off stage at any time. We had ZRP Tshabala who were there to assist. Our licence allows us to close not later than midnight. The show was a success despite the few set backs we had,” said Bernard.