Grace Mugabe’s son ‘invades’ gold mine


First lady Grace Mugabe’s son — Russell Goreraza — allegedly invaded the disputed Tolrose Mine in Kadoma which is under the control of businessman Jameson Rushwaya last Thursday evening as the battle over control of the gold mine intensifies.


The mine has been at the centre of a protracted legal battle pitting Rushwaya and businessman Patterson Timba who both claim they own it.

Goreraza reportedly went to the mine in the company of 15 youths and former mine workers clad in Zanu PF
regalia around 5pm and took over control of mining operations including an estimated 500g of gold worth $25 000.

Rushwaya’s spokesperson and Tolrose Mine human resources manager Shame Chimusaru told our sister paper NewsDay over the weekend that Goreraza scaled security fencing to gain access into locked stamp mill premises before destroying locks.

“He came with a gang of almost 15 people in party regalia and climbed over the fence to get to the stamp mills which had been running for eight hours,” he said.

“He broke down locks to the gold separators and took the gold which had gathered there.” Chimusaru said the company estimates that Goreraza, who has now taken to sleeping at the mine, could have seized over 500g of gold concentrate from the separators.

“On average after running the mills for that long we get 500g of gold or slightly more,” he said.

Chimasaru said despite reporting the invasion and alleged theft of gold to the police, no action had been taken.

“At the moment we are trying to get audience with the First Lady because Goreraza claims she is backing the takeover,” he said.

“That’s the only option we have at the moment because the police have failed to act.”

Workers at the mine said they were now taking orders from Goreraza after Rushwaya was displaced from the mine.

“All operations are progressing smoothly. Save for the fact that we have new management led by a new owner, nothing has changed for us,” said a worker who refused to be named.

Management which was loyal to Rushwaya was on Saturday morning reportedly barred from entering offices or mine premises by security manning the entrance. Goreraza refused to comment on the allegations.

He became entangled in the mine dispute after reportedly buying shares from Timba.

Timba, through his company Swimming Pool and Underwater Repair Company (Pvt) Ltd, allegedly sold his shares to Goreraza for an undisclosed fee.