HomeNewsGeneralCity house gutted by fire

City house gutted by fire

-

PROPERTY worth over $5 000 was destroyed yesterday when a house in Bulawayo’s Pelandaba suburb was gutted by fire.

fire-house1
LINDA CHINOBVA
OWN CORRESPONDENT

The fire started after electricity was restored at the house following load-shedding.

“I confirm that there was a house that was on fire in Pelandaba likely to be caused by an electrical fault,” Bulawayo fire brigade acting station officer Mhlangano Moyo said.

However, Moyo could not provide further details on the incident saying investigations were still underway.

There was no one at the house when the fire broke out.

fire-house

“There was no electricity in the morning when we left for church,” one of the tenants at the house Abigail Mguni said.

“On our way back home, some children came running to us and told us that the house was on fire.

“When we got home, the fire brigade was already there putting out the fire though a lot of damage had been done.”

Mguni said she suspected that the fire could have been caused by an electrical fault.

A neighbour who identified herself as MaNdlovu ,said she saw thick smoke spewing from the house.

“We noticed that the house was on fire and we immediately called the fire brigade and at the same time we connected a hosepipe in a bid to put off the fire, but it was to no avail,” she said.

The neighbours broke a burglar door to gain entry into the house trying to retrieve some of the property, but failed as the fire was too intense.

Property that was burnt included clothes, a set of sofas, a fridge and blankets.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading