THE Welshman Ncube-led MDC is set to hold a national standing committee strategy and planning meeting as it seeks to intensify its devolution agenda, party national spokesperson Nhlanhla Dube has said.
This would be the party’s second national standing committee meeting since its election defeat last year.
Ncube held consultative meetings with the national media and organising committees in Bulawayo last weekend during which he scoffed at critics “who misconstrued strategic silence for inactivity”.
Ncube has been off the public arena since the July 31 2013 elections.
“The media and organising departments have for the past five months tirelessly met with MDC members and society generally at grassroots level throughout the country in the party’s bid to retool and better understand the Zimbabwean pain and thus be able to contextualise, reflect on and infuse its core message of devolution with greater clarity,” Dube said.
“President Welshman Ncube who sat in on both meetings commended the participants for their tireless work in holding meetings in the wards, districts and provinces and scoffed at those who misconstrued strategic silence for inactivity.”
On devolution, Dube said Ncube had called on party members “to stay true to the spirit of devolution as it remained the only system of governance that would create real equality, fairness, justice, equitable access to resources, employment creation and improve people’s quality of life”.
The MDC’s dismal performance during the elections cast a shadow of doubt on whether the party still had a future in Zimbabwe’s politics, raising fears it could fail to finance its survival until the next elections.
The results were particularly devastating for Ncube, whose public appearances had all, but been reduced to zero. While Ncube was not expected to win widely, many had thought he would win a few seats to enable him and his party to hold the swing vote.