HomeNewsToddler dies, 20 critical after drinking poisoned mahewu

Toddler dies, 20 critical after drinking poisoned mahewu

-

A FIVE-YEAR-OLD toddler in Chief Malisa’s Ndlalambi village in Zhombe died, while 20 other villagers are battling for their lives after drinking home-brewed mahewu suspected to have been laced with poison.

By Simon Phiri

The toddler died on admission at Kwekwe General Hospital, while the other 20 are at the same hospital.

Circumstances surrounding the matter are that Tiiwe Kofi, a villager in Chief Malisa’s area, prepared traditional mahewu using a three-legged pot made of chromium on November 6 this year for the people that she had invited to till her farm.

Poison bottle

On November 9 around 9am, the 21 victims gathered at her homestead and she served them with the mahewu she had prepared before they all started complaining of severe stomach pains.

The pains persisted and all the 21 were ferried to Zhombe Mission Hospital, before being referred to Kwekwe General Hospital.

Midlands provincial police spokesperson Inspector Joel Goko confirmed the development.

He told Southern Eye that the 20 villagers were still in critical condition, while the five-year-old girl had died on admission at Kwekwe General Hospital.

He said investigations were still in progress.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading