HomeNewsAccidentsMan run over by kombi

Man run over by kombi


A Bulawayo man is struggling to raise money for medication after he was knocked down by a commuter omnibus in March and spent three months in hospital.



Talent Masuku (21) of Emganwini suffered a broken leg when he was knocked down by a kombi on March 31.

He struggles to walk, even with the aid of crutches donated to him by a neighbour.

Masuku lives with his widowed aunt Vivian Maseko who has no source of income.

When Southern Eye visited Masuku at home on Monday, the family expressed disappointment at failure to get justice saying the kombi crew just “disappeared” and the police were not being helpful.

“I was crossing the road from the Chicken Inn side going to Calbro (in the city centre) when I was knocked down and run over by the kombi.

“When I regained consciousness, the kombi crew wanted to go and dump me at a clinic, but the police arrived at that point,” Masuku said.

“I was then taken to Drill Hall Police Station and when they realised that my condition was serious, an ambulance was called.

“I was taken to Mpilo Central Hospital where I spent almost three months.”

Masuku said the unlicenced kombi driver only paid $20 for him to be taken to hospital and that was the last time he saw the crew and the police officer investigating the case.

“All the time I spent in the hospital, I never saw either the police investigating officer or the driver who knocked me down until I was discharged last week,” he said.

“Now I have to settle medical bills, but I am not employed and my aunt does not have any source of income.

“I have to dress my wound at the hospital every day and there is some medication that was prescribed for me, but I do not have the money to buy it.

“The person who was assisting me with transport to hospital says I have to pay them first because I have accrued a huge debt.”
His aunt said they did not want to make the kombi crew pay, but wanted them to assist with medical bills as she did not have any money.

“I received hospital bills for the time Talent was admitted at hospital and after they removed the plaster on his leg.

“They said his bones had not aligned properly and he had to spend another month in the health facility,” Maseko, whose husband died last December, said.

“I repeatedly went to Drill Hall looking for the police officer investigating the case, a Sergeant Muzo, and I was told that he was in Harare.

“I was given a number to call and check if he was there, but I never found any joy.”

Maseko said she and her husband took Masuku in as he was orphaned and she now had difficulties raising money to cover his medical bills.

“All I want is for the police to get us justice and for the kombi driver to come and assist with the medical expenses,” Maseko added.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading