THE Binga murder case in which four people were killed in cold blood in a suspected botched ivory deal last year, has been omitted from the Hwange High Court circuit next month amid reports that police were still investigating the matter as evidence to link suspects to the commission of the crime was remote.
Senior Court REPORTER
A source close to the matter said the case would not be heard this first term of the 2015 legal year.
“The matter is not even going to be heard by the Hwange circuit court, which will sit next month,” the source said.
“It’s not on the current Bulawayo High Court case list for this term.
“The problem could be evidence to link the accused to the murder.
“I am not sure if the docket has been handed over to the National Prosecuting Authority in Hwange.”
He said the suspects Japhet Muleya (33), Lovemore Mudenda (38), Hardlife Dube and Robert Muleya (31) were still on remand waiting for their cases to be set down for trial and they were reportedly being held at Khami Prison.
They were briefly held at Hwange Prison after being transferred from Binga Prison in April. They stand accused of gunning down Alvin Nyirenda, Mthulisi Leon Ndlovu, Nkosana Mdlongwa and Sithembinkosi Moyo using a high-powered rifle in the early hours of January 6 2014.
All four were found with gunshots wounds near Ngongonye Bridge on Nkonkane River, 15km from Manjolo business centre in Binga.
Nyirenda and Moyo’s bodies were found inside a white Isuzu pick-up truck registered in Mdlongwa’s name, who is believed to have had links with poaching syndicates.
The four are believed to have been killed elsewhere and brought to the area where the truck was pushed off the bridge in a bid to fake a traffic accident.
Mdlongwa’s body was found nearby on the riverbed, while Ndlovu’s had been decapitated and found some 1,5km away from the staged accident scene in a field.