Botswana police fatally shoot Zim man


A 36-YEAR-OLD Zimbabwe man was fatally shot by Botswana police following a raid at a suspected criminal haven in that country’s Donsa Extension suburb on the outskirts of Francistown on March 11 this year.



National police spokesperson, Chief Superintendent Paul Nyathi confirmed the incident last week, but said he did not have much details about it.

“Yes, that case, (Senior Assistant Commissioner Charity) Charamba spoke about it yesterday (Thursday),” he said.

Sources in the Zimbabwe Republic Police identified the deceased as Emmanuel Sibanda of Nkulumane in Bulawayo.

They said on the fateful day, a Tanzanian woman, identified as Khadija Salam Mashuke of number 17114 Donga Extension reported a break-in at her house, where a television set and other property valued at 6 400 pula was stolen.

“Botswana police attended the scene and followed footprints impressions of three suspects from the crime scene to Madibo’s ranch at Sekokwe Farm, where they spotted three men sat around a fire. The team leader ordered them to freeze, but Sibanda allegedly stood up and drew out a toy gun, while the other two armed themselves with knives,” a police source, who declined to be named, said.

Botswana police officers allegedly fired warning shots to scare the suspects before Sibanda and his alleged accomplished fled from the scene.

“Botswana police claim a stray bullet hit Sibanda on his right hand and he fell down. He was then arrested. Police investigations at the place where the three were sitting led to the recovery of one 52-inch black plasma television, one black 40-inch hi-sense television set, four black traveling bags containing one pair of old shoes, remote controls, a decoder, a suspected police raincoat, tomato sauce, mayonnaise, old clothing, and suspected house breaking tools.”

The total value of recovered goods was P10 900 and was positively identified by owners at the police station.

The Sibanda was taken to Nyakabangwe Hospital, where he was also diagnosed of tuberculosis before he died on May 5.

His body is yet to be repatriated to Zimbabwe.